Earlier this week I talked about how we loved Greece and their food and I shared our tzatziki recipe. Today I'm sharing our pita recipe. This is yummy for a light lunch or picnic recipe for summertime. If you like Greek food, you're sure to love this! The best grilled chicken and freshest, tastiest salads I've ever had was in Corfu and those flavors inspired this dish.
For this recipe you'll need some tzatziki sauce. I posted our quick and easy tzatziki recipe that is perfect for this. It makes an amazing marinade for your chicken and creamy sauce for your pitas.
Greek Chicken Pita's
Chicken (I used breast pieces that were already trimmed)
whole wheat pitas
fresh spinach (or lettuce if you prefer)
Mediterranean herb feta, crumbled
1. Marinade your chicken in a few tablespoons of tzatziki sauce. I usually just stick mine in a plastic bag with about 4-5 tablespoons of tzatziki and pop it in the fridge for a few hours. You will want to let them marinade for at least 2 hours.
2. Cook your chicken after it's had time to get full of flavor. We like to grill ours but we've also cooked it in a little olive oil in the pan on the stove.
3. Prepare your tomatoes and cucumbers and spinach. Wash and cut and have them ready for the assembly line.
4. Once your chicken has cooled so you can handle it a little, slice (or chop) it into bite size pieces. Or if you're having it later, you can refrigerate your chicken and there is no need to reheat it.
5. Now, you're ready to assemble your pita. Cut your pitas in half and open them up. Layer spinach, cucumber, chicken, feta, tomatoes and tzatziki into each half of your pita.