Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cheeseburger Cupcakes - A Tutorial



Yes, I'm back with my tutorial for these super fun cheeseburger cupcakes you all loved so much!

For another fun snack idea check out these flower garden parfaits or this no-churn chocolate ice cream recipe!

First, I want to note that this is not a recipe, but only a tutorial on how to turn your cupcakes in to mini cheeseburgers.

You will need to following things first:
1 box yellow cake mix & added ingredients
1 box chocolate cake mix & added ingredients (I used devil's food)
2 cans frosting (maybe grab an extra for backup)
food coloring (I used Wilton's for candy molds and also the cheap liquid kind)
decorating tips and tool (mine was a super cheap on from Target I think)
sesame seeds, sugar, and brush
sharp knife
all the other essentials for baking cupcakes: cupcake pan, liners, oven :)


These are the 3 tips I used.
From left to right: Lettuce, cheese, and ketcup.


 Bake your cupcakes as directed and once cooled, cut your yellow cupcakes in half to make the bun.


 Then cut the tops off your chocolate cupccakes to make the burger. Some of mine were fatter than others. Experiment with the size you like.


 Mix up your frosting colors in seperate bowls. I used the wilton's candy mold dye for the red and green but for the yellow I found that I like the softness that the liquid drops gave it. Add color a little bit at a time until you get the darkness you want. Red is really hard to get dark enough, but do the best and trust me when it's put together they won't be looking at just the "ketchup".


 Dab a little bit of frosting on the bottom "bun" and place your "patty" on top.


 Using your "cheese" tip outline where the cheese would be. Make sure it's far enough to the edges to show when you put your top on. You don't need to worry about filling it in, nobody will see that part.


 Then add your "lettuce" using a swirly tip like the one I showed earlier.


Lastly, squirt a little "ketchup" all around. Making sure the leave a little bit over the edges so it's seen when the top is replaced.


Place the bun on top of your cupcake.
Now, if that's not cute enough on it's on, we're going to up the cuteness factor just that little bit more!


 Create a sugar mixture. I used 1/8 cup sugar, 1/4 cup warm water and mixed it well.


 Use this sugar mixture to wet the tops of your buns and then immediately sprinkle them with sesame seeds. Don't worry, you won't even taste these! You can't even tell you're eating sesame seeds but they really add to the look of the finished cupcakes!


And viola! Fun cheeseburger cupcakes!


Have them at a summer BBQ, office picnic, or neighborhood block party! I guarantee they will be a hit!

My husband took them to work and for the first few hours people actually thought they were little hamburgers but as soon as he let it out they were really cupcakes, they were gone lightning fast!


xo's
Cat

Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. These are probably the cutest things ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you posted this! I love how relatively easy it looks to make them! Can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just awesome! I showed them to my husband and now we're looking forward to making them together this summer :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this!
    These are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE these! I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can take them to a picnic. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you posted this! I've got to try it super soon! :) So adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are INCREDIBLE! Will definitely have to try my hand at these at some point :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are brilliant! I think I'll try them for my son's Birthday this summer! =) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are amazing!!! I love all things cupcake related and these are so creative! Definitely have to try this. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much fun! Have to try making them some time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughters church youth group is having a car wash and bake sale fundraiser and I was wondering if I could get permission from you too make these for them too sell?

    ReplyDelete
  12. May I get permission too make these for my daughters youth group fundraiser this weekend?There gonna have a car wash and bake sale?

    ReplyDelete