Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas in Germany!

Christmas is upon us and with it brings one of my favorite things. It's probably my favorite part of living in Germany, Christmas Markets! I just love these outdoor street markets. Little shops, and food stalls are set up in most cities here in Germany. They have lots of gluhwein (spiced mulled wine) wooden handmade goods, ornaments, decorations for your house, crocheted and knitted delights, knick knacks, all kinds of food, little rides, and some even have ice skating. 

All with twinkling lights against the beautiful German buildings, churches and the occasional castle! What is there not to love! This year we've been going to lots of different markets: Trier, Saarbrucken, Kaiserslautern, Heidelberg, Landstuhl and Bernkastel-Kues. Each one has it's own unique feel. With only a week left until Christmas, we are hoping to sneak in one last trip before they are gone for another year.

For me I love having hot kartoffelpuffer (fried potato cakes served with applesauce) and gluhwein is a must. Eeirpunsch  (egg punch) is not like the egg nog that we are used to.

And most places have their own mugs made for each year. They are collectable so of course I have one from each place! We really enjoyed Saarbrucken, it's a nice big market and they even decorate the trash cans. Heidelberg is one of my favorites though. I love that city!





















Seriously my favorite! These photos were taken at the various markets. I hope this gave you a good feel of the market atmosphere!

Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos! It looks so festive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The photos you take of scenes there are always breathtaking! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete