The perfect risotto for a cool fall night! Love the garam marsala flavor that this dish has, it pairs well with the butternut squash and parmesan!
Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto
1 cup arborio rice (uncooked)
4 cups chicken broth
1 med size butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, diced in 1/2 in cubes
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1. 5 cup shredded parmesan
1/2 cup white wine
2 tbsp butter
olive oil (2tbsp + extra for coating squash)
garam masala (1 tbsp, more if desired)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Peel, deseed and chop the butternut squash into 1/2 inch cubes.
3. In a large bowl toss squash with olive oil and garam marsala.
4. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and roast the butternut squash for 30-40 minutes until tender.
5. Heat chicken broth in a pot over medium heat. Let it gently simmer, DO NOT BOIL!
6. In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp butter on medium heat and let melt. Cook the onion and garlic a few minutes until softened. **(Add in and slightly mash half of your roasted squash)
7. Add the arborio rice and toast for 3-5 minutes.
8. Add the wine to the rice and stir until wine is absorbed.
9. Ladle in warm chicken broth while stirring rice. STIR CONSTANTLY! Let it cook and absorb into the rice before adding more chicken broth. Repeat this until rice is cooked. This usually takes about 30 minutes for the brand of rice we use. Remember to constantly stir so that your risotto will cook properly.
10. Fold in the roasted butternut squash and then stir in the parmesan.
11. Serve immediately. Garnish with butternut squash and a few sprinkles of cheese if desired.
**Since first creating this recipe, we've changed it a little. Before we start cooking the rice, we cook about half of the squash in the pan with the onions, slightly mashing them as we stir. Then we fold in the other half of the squash into the dish after the rice has cooked. It seems to give the rice more butternut squash flavor!
It's pretty amazing and so is my husband for creating this for me! Let me know if you love it as much as we do! Enjoy!!